As a tattoo artist, you can only give your customers the real value for their money’s worth with a high-quality tattoo machine. Put simply, you need premium-quality tattoo guns to create awe-inspiring tattoos for your customers. In turn, they will enjoy your service, and refer their family and friends to you. It’s a win-win situation! Well, a tattoo handgun or machine is one of the key components of the tattoo kits. Interestingly enough, there are loads of tattoo kits on today’s market, making it pretty uneasy to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Nonetheless, this guide aims to walk you through the best tattoo kits on the market. We thought you should look at them because they have the best-in-class features that deliver topnotch performance. Guess what, that’s where quality comes in. With that said, we assure you that after going through this guide, you would not have any need to read similar articles. The reason is that we have done all the legwork for you in this piece. Let’s get started.
8 Best Tattoo Kits
Here are our top picks for you
Best Tattoo Kit for Beginners: Grinder Tattoo Kit by Pirate Face Tattoo
If you are looking to start an amazing career as a tattooist, you should consider giving this kit a shot. Upon unpacking and trying it, you will notice that it is easy to assemble. Made in the United States, this handgun comes in a wide array of colors. It has four different tattoo machines (10 wrap coils). Another feature that will snag your attention is the stainless steel tips. It goes without saying that the pack has a 2-hour DVD and book that explain how to start using the gun at the drop of the hat. No doubt, a newbie would not struggle to start trying his hands at this cutting-edge tattoo gun. All these features and more earned it a spot on your list.
- It is pretty easy to assemble
- It is versatile and engineered to grow with the builder
- Offers a wide range of color options
- It’s a good-buy for its price
- Comes with a 6-month warranty
- It hums like a swarm of bees
- The power supply is unreliable
Best Tattoo Kit for Noiselessness: Solong Tattoo Pen Kit
Do you need an on-the-go tattoo toolkit? If yes, you should give this handheld device a try. In short, it is extremely portable, making it a must-have. With a battery power display, you understand when it is about to run down. Another good is, you can recharge the 1500mAh battery easily. You will also like that its noise is relatively low, unlike other noisy tattoo-creating devices on the market.
We also noticed that it has a one-year warranty and CE certification, thus giving you some level of reliability. Additionally, the plug adapter works with many power supplies. It means that you can use it anywhere. The aluminum alloy and anodized finish give it good looks. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, it would be nice if you take a chance on it.
- It is corrosion- and rust-resistant
- Designed to be compatible with all power supplies
- Built to give an awesome feel and smooth cut
- It is a low-noise tattoo machine
- It does not get hot after working for a long time
- It is not ideal for beginners
- It is not ideal for beginners
- Sometimes, the cord falls off the handgun
Best Tattoo Kit for flexibility: Dragonhawk Rotary Tattoo Pen Machine Kit
Here’s another tattoo gun we thought you should check out, as it encompasses loads of exciting features. Upon using this pen-like tool, you will notice that it gently applies pink to your skin. Still, it comes in various colors, giving enough choices to make a pick from.
What style takes your breath away? In truth, it does not matter because this pen-like device creates all the tattoo designs you can think of. With respect to its construction, it is made of a polymer material. Moreover, it is compatible with many different tattoo cartridges. It offers membrane mechanism that averts ink spitback. Those are enough reasons to take a second look at it.
- It works well on all skins, including smooth and rough skins
- Wear- and tear-resistant
- Ideal for all kinds of designs or styles
- A budget-friendly tattoo device
- A budget-friendly tattoo device
- The durability is in doubt
- It may slow down and break down after 2-3 months
- There are no rooms for adjustments
Best Tattoo Kit for Affordability: Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit
If you are on a budget, you still deserve to wear alluring tattoo styles on your body. Sure, this is a low-budget tattoo handgun that still leaves users with breathtaking styles. Aside from being relatively affordable, this handheld tool delivers high-level safety.
Plus, it has a one-year warranty attached to it, reassuring tattooists that they have the right tattoo kit for their businesses. Upon unpacking the box, you will notice several components, meaning that you do not have to source any other components before using it. While it has lots of benefits, one must not turn a blind eye to its failings, as you will see in a flash. So, you should weigh the pros and cons.
- Easy to control its voltage and use it
- Comes with a plethora of accessories
- It is affordable
- Comes with manuals for easy assembly
- It is resistant to rust and corrosion
- The ink is watered down
- The coils may slide off after a prolonged use
- Many users found it uneasy to set up
Best Tattoo Kit for Long-lasting Designs: Solong Tattoo Complete Kit 4 Pro Machine Guns
If making sharper and brighter images matters to you more than anything else, it will make sense if you try it. More importantly, another good feature you are likely to fall in love with is that it is specially meant for vegans. You will also notice the LCD digital tattoo power supply that allows you to keep close tabs on power supply.
Another feature that will attract your attention is the 4 pro tattoo machine gun for liner and shader. Not to mention that it has 100ink cup mixed size, allowing you to have small, medium, and mixed sizes.
- Offers lots of color options
- Makes a far shape and shinning image
- It does not contain any skin-harming substances
- You can adjust it to your taste to get deep-rooted styles
- Rust and corrosion have no place in this handheld tool
- The inks dry easily
- Its engine may stop working in no time
- Its engine may stop working in no time
- There are complaints that its power sometimes fails
AW Professional Complete Tattoo Kit
The list would be incomplete without mentioning this 5-star kit because it offers some alluring functions many people like. You see, this is the right handheld tool for professionals. It is not for beginners! On the other hand, midlevel tattooists who wish to transition to the next level should check it out. It is a practice-only kit. Therefore, we strongly advise that you go over the safety manuals before using this device. You will probably be wondering why it is a cut above the rest. You will grasp that after going through the pros and cons.
- It is engineered to function as both liner and shader
- The power supply is reliable
- It is relatively easy to carry about
- This is a long-lasting product
- The value for your money is guaranteed
- Some of them ship with defective guns
- Oftentimes, the ink spreads so easily, making an awful design
- Some people consider it pricey
Wormhole Rotary Tattoo Machine Kit for Beginners
Given the enormous features this pen-like tattoo machine has, we thought it ideal to include it to this list. You see, what sets it apart from the rest is that both amateurs and professionals can use it. On top of that, it is a durable tattoo pen. In fact, this pen-like tattoo tool is easy to set up. If you are on budget, you do not have to worry because this product is budget-friendly. Again, you will notice that it is pretty easy to switch out its cartridge. Yet, here’s a rotary tattoo device that works like a liner machine and tattoo shader machine combined. No doubt, that is enough value in one kit.
- It is relatively affordable than the coil tattoo machine
- This handgun is perfect for tattooist looking to hone their skills
- You can install the tattoo pen in a split second
- This is a low-noise, durable device with ergonomics taken into consideration
- The details show that you get a 6-month warranty on the RCA cord and foot and enjoy one-year warranty on the power supply
- Upon replacing the foot pedal, the tattoo pen is likely to start acting up
- The internal writing becomes loose after a prolonged use
- You may not like the ink because it spills all over the body easily
- Sometimes, it ships with many defective parts, including the cable
EZTAT2 Complete Tattoo Machine Kit INKin Rotary Pen
Making fine liners and colors intertwined into abstractive images on the sleeves can be effortless if you gift yourself this handheld tattoo device. Without mincing words, EZTAT2 brought its over two decades’ stints in the tattooing industry in this handheld device, as it makes tattooing a lot easy. It is no marketing gimmicks.
Aside from being relatively affordable, this is a high-speed tattoo device. The high speed makes it super-efficient. Those are difficult-to-ignore features for many experts out there. Here’s some advice: Ensure you get the power between 5-7v to get the best result. With adjustable grips specifically designed to keep users safe, we believe this device would be a good-buy.
- It is an affordable, user-friendly tattoo tool
- You will never find it challenging to grip
- The power supply is relatively stable
- A high-speed handgun that gives heartwarming results
- It serves both beginners and professionals
- Here is a kit that ships with a bunch of components, so you won’t buy anything else
- A user may not find it easy to assemble
- Using its disposable carts is not as easy as the company portrays it
Factors to Consider Before Buying Tattoo Kits
So far, we have reviewed the 8 best tattoo kits. Well, here are the important factors to consider before buying a tattoo kit. Most of them played a pivotal role in compiling this list.
- Condition: Sometimes, the kit’s components damage in transit. While it may not be the seller’s fault, you should never bear the brunt. Therefore, you should ensure that the parts are neither defective nor damaged. If it is in good condition, you are sure that it will not harm your customers. That way, you are sure that they will enjoy your service. You should examine them closely before and after buying, especially if you are buying online.
- Ink: Ink is where it gets interesting because it is an integral component of the kit. One question that often pops up is, “How much ink can the handgun hold?” Keep in mind that some tattoos may require you to have enough ink per sitting. Therefore, you should always look out for those tattoo devices that can hold a considerable amount of ink before you refill them.
- Tubes and needles: Additionally, you have to consider the tube and needle because the former keeps the latter in place when they penetrate the skin. Out there, you may get the reusable and disposable models. In that case, you should keep in mind how easy it is to clean and sterilize it. Also, you should think of the number of needles it can hold because you need to surpass your customer’s expectations.
- Size: If you have to travel from one place to another to attend to your customers, you should consider getting a lightweight gun. The pen-like model is perfect in this context because you will not have a hard time moving it. If you do not consider weight as a challenge, then you can go for the bigger models. One thing you should keep in mind is that going for the heavier models means that you won’t be able to move it about.
- Power Supply: If you are going to tattoo a customer for a long time, then you need extra power to stay on top of your game. The essence is to have a machine that supplies you with enough power to run it for a long time. Be it the digital or analog model, you get to see the power load and foot pedal status. With that, you can adjust your device speed to get the desired speed.
- Brands:Indeed, some brands have set themselves apart from their competitors over the years. When you have their products, you are sure you have your money’s worth. They are reliable, long-lasting, efficient, and the list is endless. The good thing is that we reviewed some of them in this guide. They include Dragonhawk, Pirate Face Tattoo, Solong Tattoo, AW, EZTAT2, etc. You bear that in mind as well.
- Price:If you are on a budget, you still have some beginner-focused tattoo devices that you should give a try. However, the challenge you have to deal with is that they may not have topnotch features like the expensive, premium-quality models. Money is the store of value. However, the cheering news is that you can start with those affordable models and progress to the high-end devices over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Having come thus far, you should know the answers to these frequently asked questions.
Question:Do tattoo machines have fixed running voltage?
No, they do not. Most times, the manufacturer usually specifies the voltage rating of the machines. More importantly, the appropriate voltage depends on the device and the nature of the job you are using it to do. Therefore, you should always keep your eye on voltage.
Question:Do all tattoo machines have warranties?
Whether a tattoo handgun will have a warranty or not depends on the manufacturer. Sometimes, some sensitive components of the kits will have a warranty but not the entire kit. Be it the entire component or a part of it, the seller always defines the warranties. Therefore, you should refer to the instructional guide of your product for more details.
Question:How does the tattoo machine work?
In simple terms, it is a pen-like device that comes with a needle on its tip. When it is in use, the machine digs into the epidermis, depositing ink underneath your skin layer. The penetration is what often causes you pain and makes the tattoo permanent. Experts recommend several ways of reducing tattoo-related pains. These are drinking plenty of water, eating before going for the session, keeping your mind busy, avoiding too many movements during the session, etc. Tattooists also advise their customers to stick to these rules to reduce the excruciating pains of tattooing.
Question:What is the best tattoo pen machine?
This guide has detailed some of the top-tier machines on the market. All you need to do is go through the features, pros, and cons. Still, every machine on this list stands out for one reason or another. What is that specific feature you look out for in your ideal tattoo pen-like machine? Well, go through the list to figure out the product that satisfies it.
Question:What is the best tattoo machine for beginners?
There are loads of good, beginner-targeted tattoo machines on the market. We have reviewed some of them in this piece. To make an informed choice, you should focus on their features, pros, and cons. You should also consider the feature that distinguishes it from the rest. Lastly, most tattoo machines for beginners are affordable.
In this in-depth guide, you have seen the best tattoo kits on the market. In short, it reviewed the most suitable tattoo tools for newcomers, midlevel tattooists, and experts. Sure, there is something for everyone, irrespective of the level of expertise. However, some products that made this list are primarily for professionals. As a newbie, it would be best if you never tried it on human skin without some professional guidance. Upon going through this article, you will certainly see a kit that fits what you wish to achieve (both personal and commercial use). Noteworthy is that the machines come with instructional guides (videos and hardcopy documents); you should never use the machines without going through them.
Without a doubt, this is the A-to-Z guide of getting tattoo kits that give the real value for money. So, you do not have to read more articles. Remember, you can change your tattoo parlor business by delivering high-quality styles. Tattooing is more than inserting pigment into people’s dermis; you are translating your customers’ visions into reality. Let these highly sought-after tattoo kits help you with that. Why wait? Give it a try now! We assure you that you will like it because we did. Afterward, do not hesitate to share your experience with us.