As a tattoo artist, you can only give your customers the real value for their money’s worth with a high-quality tattoo machine. Put simply, you need premium-quality tattoo guns to create awe-inspiring tattoos for your customers. In turn, they will enjoy your service, and refer their family and friends to you. It’s a win-win situation! Well, a tattoo handgun or machine is one of the key components of the tattoo kits. Interestingly enough, there are loads of tattoo kits on today’s market, making it pretty uneasy to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Nonetheless, this guide aims to walk you through the best tattoo kits on the market. All of these top-rated products have the best-in-class features that deliver top-notch performance. Guess what, that’s where quality comes in. We have done all the reviewing legwork for you in this piece so let’s get started!
Here are InkedWay's top picks for you.
Best tattoo kits for professional and beginners
TOP tattoo kits for beginners
Dragonhawk tattoo kit
Best tattoo kit for beginners
When looking for the best tattoo gun kit, stop at this The DragonHawk Mast Pen. Inside the box of your Dragonhawk tattoo set you’ll find 1 custom mast pen, 1 tattoo digital power supply, 20 Wjx cartridges, 1-foot pedal, the big case it’s all packed in.
What about the pen tattoo machine? It's a smart, portable and ergonomic rotary tattoo machine that will meet all your expectations, especially if you are not a professional tattoo artist yet. Then look no further. This tattoo gun and the kit particularly is just about the perfect and cheap choice.
Made of a solid Metallic motor set, and a durable lined cartridge, this good tattoo gun is undoubtedly a piece of efficiency and maximum quality. This device comes in an aluminium frame and consists of a sound rotary gear system that enhances tattooing operations stealthy and noiselessly.
It is carefully wielded with an excellent ergonomic design, lightweight and conveniently portable. This rotary, power-driven gear, enhances the efficiency and smoothness of tattooing operation. Its hold is stable, with a beautiful interior design, giving artist fluidity, and convenience. So it’s easy to use! Users no longer have to struggle with the device. Its setup is simple and needs no extra logistics. With this device noise and vibration is reduced.
- Low vibration and noise volume
- User friendly
- Safety and user protection
- Consistent, cyclical needle motion
- Runs smoothly
- Usable for line and shading
- It causes minimal skin damage
- Not very durable
Pirate Face Tattoo
Best Coil Tattoo Equipment Kit
If you are looking to start an amazing career as a tattoo artist, you should consider giving this tattoo kit a shot. Upon unpacking and trying it, you will notice that it is easy to assemble. Made in the United States, this handgun comes in a wide array of colors. It has four different tattoo machines (10 wrap coils). Another feature that will snag your attention is the stainless steel tips. It goes without saying that the pack has a 2-hour DVD and book that explain how to start using the gun at the drop of the hat. No doubt, a newbie would not struggle to start trying his hands at this cutting-edge complete tattoo kit. All these features and more earned it a spot on your list.
- It is pretty easy to assemble
- It is versatile and engineered to grow with the builder
- Offers a wide range of color options
- It’s a good-buy for its price
- Comes with a 6-month warranty
- It hums like a swarm of bees
- The power supply is unreliable
Hildbrandt tattoo set
great home tattoo practice kit
This is a unique beginner tattoo kit with practice skin and 4 machines, including two rotary and two coil machines. You can try two different types of the devices and understand for sure which one is better for you or use all of them!
This kit contains everything a beginner might need to get started. Upon unpacking the box, you will notice several components, meaning that you do not have to source any other components before using it.
- Inside there is everything you need to get started
- Two different kinds of machines
- Built to give an awesome feel and smooth cut
- Low-noise tattoo machines
- It does not get hot after working for a long time
- Some people consider it pricey
Dragonhawk Tattoo Kit
cheap rotary tattoo kit
Here’s another complete tattoo kit we thought you should check out, as it encompasses loads of exciting features. Upon using this pen-like tool, you will notice that it gently applies pink to your skin. Still, it comes in various colors, giving enough choices to make a pick from.
What style takes your breath away? In truth, it does not matter because this pen-like device creates all the tattoo designs you can think of. With respect to its construction, it is made of a polymer material. Moreover, it is compatible with many different tattoo cartridges. It offers membrane mechanism that averts ink spitback. Those are enough reasons to take a second look at it.
- It works well on all skins, including smooth and rough skins
- Wear- and tear-resistant
- Ideal for all kinds of designs or styles
- A budget-friendly tattoo device
- Protects against spitback
- The durability is in doubt (it may slow down and break down after 2-3 months)
- There are no rooms for adjustments
Solong 4 Pro
Top-rated tattoo gun kit
If making sharper and brighter images matters to you more than anything else, it will make sense if you try this Solong tattoo kit. More importantly, another good feature you are likely to fall in love with is that it is specially meant for vegans. You will also notice the LCD digital tattoo power supply that allows you to keep close tabs on power supply.
Another feature that will attract your attention is the 4 pro tattoo machine gun for liner and shader. Not to mention that it has 100ink cup mixed size, allowing you to have small, medium, and mixed sizes.
- Offers lots of color options
- Makes a far shape and shinning image
- It does not contain any skin-harming substances
- You can adjust it to your taste to get deep-rooted styles
- Rust and corrosion have no place in this handheld tool
- The inks dry easily
- Its engine may stop working in no time
- Its engine may stop working in no time
- There are complaints that its power sometimes fails
Best tattoo gun kits for mid level and professional tattoo artists
CNC® X1 Maxon Motor
the best rotary tattoo kit
Your high-tech, modern and reliable tattoo tool is this X1 Pen from CNC. The professional tattoo kit does not include consumables, but all the necessary accessories are there. This device will help you not only practice, but give your customers the best quality tattoo, and you'll have great fun working with it because it's quiet, low-vibration, comfortable and balanced, powerful and soft at the same time.
Perfect for creating impressive tattoo designs!
- User Friendly
- Durable device with ergonomics
- Powerful and reliable motor
- Versatile rotor for lining and shading
- Price is a bit pricey
- The kit does not include supplies and inks, but you can buy them separately, so you get an even better quality tattoo kit
best cheap professional tattoo kits
The list would be incomplete without mentioning this 5-star tattoo kit because it offers some alluring functions many people like. You see, this is the right handheld tool for professionals. It is not for beginners! On the other hand, midlevel tattoo artist who wish to transition to the next level should check it out. It is a practice-only tattoo kit. Therefore, we strongly advise that you go over the safety manuals before using this device. You will probably be wondering why it is a cut above the rest. You will grasp that after going through the pros and cons.
- It is engineered to function as both liner and shader
- The power supply is reliable
- It is relatively easy to carry about
- This is a long-lasting product
- The value for your money is guaranteed
- Some of them ship with defective guns
- Oftentimes, the ink spreads so easily, making an awful design
- Some people consider it pricey
rotary tattoo machine kit
This tattoo kit is centered around one of Dragonhawk's popular Raven rotary tattoo machines. This machine kit comes with 20 cartridges, practice skin, grip, and all the necessary power equipment. You will need to purchase more tattoo ink and other supplies.
The Raven is a very stable tool, it' s easy to operate and convenient to work with. It's great for difficult tattooing areas, and for all tattooing styles, but most of all for Blackwork. Other advantages of this device are its lightweight, so your hands are not tired even after hours of working with this device. Very durable and reliable tool, as it is made of a cast frame. A quality product, recommended to everyone.
- Durable and reliable
- Really quiet
- Suitable for all tattoo styles
- Tattoo kit includes faux skin
- Convenient needle stroke adjustment
- Great for beginners and experienced tattoo artists alike
- You can't choose the color of the machine
cheap beginner tattoo kit
Making fine liners and colors intertwined into abstractive images on the sleeves can be effortless if you gift yourself this handheld tattoo kit. Without mincing words, EZTAT2 tattoo kit brought its over two decades’ stints in the tattooing industry in this handheld device, as it makes tattooing a lot easy. It is no marketing gimmicks.
Aside from being relatively affordable, this is a high-speed tattoo device. The high speed makes it super-efficient. Those are difficult-to-ignore features for many experts out there. Here’s some advice: Ensure you get the power between 5-7v to get the best result. With adjustable grips specifically designed to keep users safe, we believe this device would be a good-buy.
- It is an affordable, user-friendly tattoo kit
- You will never find it challenging gripping
- The power supply is relatively stable
- A high-speed handgun that gives heartwarming results
- It serves both beginners and professionals
- Here is a kit that ships with a bunch of components, so you won’t buy anything else
- A user may not find it easy to assemble
- Using its disposable carts is not as easy as the company portrays it
What Equipment Do You Need to Start Tattooing
Every professional tattoo artist started in a different way. We didn't know either what and where to buy, how to choose, what to start your career with. So let's get acquainted with the basic list of all necessary equipment to start tattooing or, in other words, everything that your good and high-quality tattoo kit should contain in order to work with clients.
Tattoo gun and accessories
- The tattoo gun. The first, obviously, is the tattoo gun in the kit which will be your main tool. Whether you choose a rotary or a coil gun, it is important for it to do a good job: to apply the ink to the skin with the right power, but without unnecessary traumatization of the skin. This piece will help you choose a rotary or coil one.
- Needles or cartridges depending on the type of your tattoo gun.
- Grips. These are disposable or reusable, plastic or metal nozzles on the tattoo machine. The reusable metal ones do not dampen vibration, so you will need a bandage to work with. They require disinfection and sterilization. Disposable nylon and plastic ones are supplied sterile in disposable sealed packages. Their rubber grips dampen vibrations: make them comfortable to work with. Disposable grips should always be kept in stock.
- The power supply must work with your machine because, for example, Cheyenne does not work with all other brands of power supplies. You can choose a wired power supply or a wireless one. Its main task is to be powerful and work uninterruptedly. As the poor transmission of power to the tattoo gun will directly affect the quality of your tattoo and the comfort of your work. The quality of the power supply determines the longevity of the tattoo machine.
- A pedal is needed if you are working with a wired power supply.
- RCA wire or clip cord depending on the type of connection of your machine.
Consumables and hygiene
- Bandage rubber bands if you have opted for a coil tattoo machine.
- Barrier films for sterile and safe work.
- Tattoo inks have to be of high quality as you are working with human skin. Depending on the tattoo style you are going to work in, you need black, white tattoo inks, greywash, colored kits.
- Tattoo ink pouring caps. They are disposable and you need to have a lot of them. They allow you to dose the ink and provide convenience to the tattoo artist.
- The practice skin. If you are a beginner, you should practice on fake skin. There are many tattoo kits that come with fake skin.
- Transfer paper that transfers the drawing to the client's skin
- Tattoo marker - disposable, sterile, hypoallergenic
- Creams, gels, wipes, vaseline, film - everything that will help make your work more vivid, colorful and durable
Factors to Consider Before Buying Tattoo Kits
So far, we have reviewed the TOP 9 tattoo kits. Well, here are the important factors to consider before buying a tattoo kit. Most of them played a pivotal role in compiling this list.
- Condition: Sometimes, the kit’s components damage in transit. While it may not be the seller’s fault, you should never bear the brunt. Therefore, you should ensure that the parts are neither defective nor damaged. If it is in good condition, you are sure that it will not harm your customers. That way, you are sure that they will enjoy your service. You should examine them closely before and after buying, especially if you are buying tattoo kit online.
- Ink: Ink is where it gets interesting because it is an integral component of the tattoo kit. One question that often pops up is, “How much ink can the handgun hold?” Keep in mind that some tattoos may require you to have enough ink per sitting. Therefore, you should always look out for those tattoo devices that can hold a considerable amount of ink before you refill them.
- Tubes and needles: Additionally, you have to consider the tube and needle because the former keeps the latter in place when they penetrate the skin. Out there, you may get the reusable and disposable models. In that case, you should keep in mind how easy it is to clean and sterilize it. Also, you should think of the number of needles it can hold because you need to surpass your customer’s expectations.
- Size: If you have to travel from one place to another to attend to your customers, you should consider getting a lightweight gun. The pen-like model is perfect in this context because you will not have a hard time moving it. If you do not consider weight as a challenge, then you can go for the bigger models. One thing you should keep in mind is that going for the heavier models means that you won’t be able to move it about.
- Power Supply: If you are going to tattoo a customer for a long time, then you need extra power to stay on top of your game. The essence is to have a machine that supplies you with enough power to run it for a long time. Be it the digital or analog model, you get to see the power load and foot pedal status. With that, you can adjust your device speed to get the desired speed.
- Brands:Indeed, some brands have set themselves apart from their competitors over the years. When you have their products, you are sure you have your money’s worth. They are reliable, long-lasting, efficient, and the list is endless. The good thing is that we reviewed some of them in this guide. They include Dragonhawk, Pirate Face Tattoo, Solong Tattoo, AW, EZTAT2, etc. You bear that in mind as well.
- Price:If you are on a budget, you still have some beginner-focused tattoo devices that you should give a try. However, the challenge you have to deal with is that they may not have topnotch features like the expensive, premium-quality models. Money is the store of value. However, the cheering news is that you can start with those affordable models and progress to the high-end devices over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Having come thus far, you should know the answers to these frequently asked questions.
Do tattoo machines have fixed running voltage?
No, they do not. Most times, the manufacturer usually specifies the voltage rating of the machines. More importantly, the appropriate voltage depends on the device and the nature of the job you are using it to do. Therefore, you should always keep your eye on voltage.
Do all tattoo machines have warranties?
Whether a tattoo handgun will have a warranty or not depends on the manufacturer. Sometimes, some sensitive components of the kits will have a warranty but not the entire kit. Be it the entire component or a part of it, the seller always defines the warranties. Therefore, you should refer to the instructional guide of your product for more details.
How does the tattoo machine work?
In simple terms, it is a pen-like device that comes with a needle on its tip. When it is in use, the machine digs into the epidermis, depositing ink underneath your skin layer. The penetration is what often causes you pain and makes the tattoo permanent. Experts recommend several ways of reducing tattoo-related pains. These are drinking plenty of water, eating before going for the session, keeping your mind busy, avoiding too many movements during the session, etc. Tattoo artists also advise their customers to stick to these rules to reduce the excruciating pains of tattooing.
Why is DragonHawk considered the best?
We consider that the best choice for any beginner will be exactly the Mast kit from DragonHawk, because, first of all, the kit includes a convenient, clear and easy to use rotary tattoo gun, the kit also includes all the necessary power equipment. You will only need to supplement with consumables, practice skin and tattoo inks. This cheap set will get you started the very next day of purchase, and for its money it provides one of the best quality on the market. In addition, most tattoo artists in recent years have preferred rotary instead of coil machines because of the ease and usability of handling them.
How much is a good tattoo kit?
A good tattoo kit certainly can't cost less than $50. But not every one of them will be of high quality nevertheless. Indeed, buying a complete set, you can save significantly, in addition, it is more comfortable. Complete kits with branded and professional components will cost over $200. Depending on the manufacturer and the parts, the cost of the kit can go up to $500.
In this in-depth guide, you have seen the best tattoo kits on the market. In short, it reviewed the most suitable tattoo tools for newcomers, midlevel tattoo artists, and experts. Sure, there is something for everyone, irrespective of the level of expertise. However, some products that made this list are primarily for professionals. As a newbie, it would be best if you never tried it on human skin without some professional guidance. Upon going through this article, you will certainly see a kit that fits what you wish to achieve (both personal and commercial use). Noteworthy is that the machines come with instructional guides (videos and hardcopy documents); you should never use the machines without going through them.
Without a doubt, this is the A-to-Z guide of getting tattoo kits that give the real value for money. So, you do not have to read more articles. Remember, you can change your tattoo parlor business by delivering high-quality styles. Tattooing is more than inserting pigment into people’s dermis; you are translating your customers’ visions into reality. Let these highly sought-after tattoo kits help you with that. Why wait? Give it a try now! We assure you that you will like it because we did. Afterward, do not hesitate to share your experience with us.
Many people - both beginners and professionals - make plenty of mistakes when buying tattoo equipment.
Every single artist is faced with one duck challenge, "Purchasing a durable tattoo machine"